Acting as agent of multifarious bulk cargoes, Cosmatos Group has a long standing experience in their maritime transport, as well as in the management of their loading and unloading.
Salt remains one of the several cargoes transported by our group – mainly bulk salt originating from Egyptian and Tunisian salt marshes.
Below you can find some useful information for the fulfilment of the requirements and the creation of the appropriate conditions for the loading and unloading of Salt (both edible and road salt).
During the loading preparation stage and its transportation:
- A box type general cargo vessel is preferred in order to facilitate the loading / unloading of the cargo.
- The selection of a vessel of which last two cargoes could not potentially constitute or put under risk the quality of the salt (indicative examples are the following: glass, corn, coal etc) is suggested.
- It is deemed necessary to thoroughly clean and lime the hold where the salt is about to be deposited, due to the fact that, on the one hand, it is a sensitive product that absorbs smells, especially when the transported salt is edible and, on the other hand, it may erode the walls and the floor of the hold.
- The absolute imperviousness of the place is checked, as well as its waterproofness, in order to avoid the creation or intrusion of water into the hold (through cracks or openings), since that would be destructive, both for the salt itself (especially the edible one) as well as for the vessel (the combination of salt and water might be devastating for the steel parts of the ship).
- As a consequence of the above, it is recommended that particular attention be paid to the risk of occurrence of moisture at all stages, including before or during the loading and / or during the transportation of the salt, because the formation of rust might excessively affect its quality.
- From the above becomes explicit that the aforementioned factors must be examined by certified inspectors appointed by the P&I club, authorized to issue a vessel cleanliness certificate before commencing the loading of the cargo.
At the arrival of salt to the delivery point:
- Unloading conditions and means should be ensured.
- The cleanliness of the quay where the salt shall be placed, during the unloading, should be inspected.
The appropriateness of the unloading means should also be checked.
- Weather forecasting should also be a part of the process (salt unloading cannot be carried out in wet conditions).
- Edible salt should be immediately transported in enclosed spaces / warehouse, since it cannot be at all exposed to wet conditions, contrary to the road salt, which can be exposed for a few days.
The compliance with all necessary standards for such a special product as salt – on the basis of a thorough and continuous inspection, from the initial stage of the selection and preparation of the place of delivery, to the selection of the means and the required time for its transportation, up until the arrival at the port of destination – constitutes a guarantee for the proper delivery of an intact product, capable of preserving unharmed the original quality of the salt delivered to the recipient.