Everybody is aware of the role that social media play in our everyday lives nowadays. According to statista.com, in 2020, over 3.6 billion people were using social media worldwide, a number projected to increase to almost 4.41 billion in 2025. On average, internet users spend 144 minutes per day on social media.
So, what about the shipping and logistics industries? Do social media play an important role there too? The quick answer would be yes. There is almost no aspect of our personal and business lives that social media do not affect. Let’s have a closer look.
First of all, the same basic marketing principles apply, including:
- The main social media platforms used for business include Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter.
- Online adults are more likely to follow a brand via social networking.
- Consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others.
Out of these platforms, we can say that LinkedIn plays the most important role, when it comes to business activities, including of course shipping and logistics.
Heidi Frith, founder of SPC Marine Marketing said, “LinkedIn is essential for businesses who wish to establish themselves as a leader in their field and build their brand. For those wishing to sell their products and services business to business (B2B), it’s vital to have a presence.”
Facebook of course remains one of the most popular social media platforms in terms of active accounts, so using it, always has its meaning.
As for Instagram, it is now the main platform for exchanging photographic material. The shipping sector especially offers some great opportunities for beautiful and unique pictures.
Having said that, below are some tips that you can follow to make your company present in social media:
Post regularly and often.
- If you don’t post it no one will know about it.
- Post content that is relevant to your type of business and appealing to your audience.
- Describe accurately the scope of your project.
- Check your grammar and spelling.
- Avoid using too few or too many words.
- Engage with your followers in the comments section. It makes them feel that you are there for them.
Use both pictures and videos.
Regarding the pictures:
- It is a common secret that a beautiful picture can take you a long way, regarding user engagement.
- Post multiple photographs to show all the stages of your project. The more the merrier but don’t overdo it. If you are bored looking at it then everyone else will be too.
- Your photos should show accurately the scope of your project.
- Confirm through your photos that all the safety standards and regulations are met, e.g. all people in the working perimeter are wearing helmets, vests etc.
As for the videos:
- Over 2 billion logged-in users visit YouTube each month, and every day people watch over a billion hours of video and generate billions of views.
- Post videos of your work in progress.
- Executives who watch work-related videos are much more likely to visit the business’ website afterwards.
- You don’t have to post your projects only after they are completed.
- Tell the world what you are doing and how you are feeling right now! It is something people can relate to.
- Show your everyday work, e.g. cargo coming in and out of your warehouse, or containers / cargo being loaded on / unloaded from a ship.
Focus on the people!
Your business is not just about business! Show the world the people working for you and what they can do for clients. People want to have a personal touch and know who they are talking to, when doing business.
A hashtag is a label for content. It helps others who are interested in a certain topic, quickly find content on that same topic by clicking on the hashtag. For example, you can use the hashtags #heavylift #shipping #logistics #roadtransport #haulage, when posting on social media. You can also use the name of your company.
Expand your social network.
- Stephen Hawking said that “We are all now connected by the Internet, like neurons in a giant brain.”
- Always try to expand your social media network.
- More people in your network means more views, likes, shares and comments for your posts.
- Reach out to people that have large numbers of followers.
And don’t forget, there is a reason they are called “social” media!